Early 18th century longcase clock
CLAUDIUS DU CHESNE LONDINI
A Queen Anne longcase clock with a seaweed marquetry case, c. 1710
The walnut-veneered and seaweed-marquetry case is typical for the period, with a square flat-top hood and rectangular door. The silk-backed pierced panels embellish the top. The hood door is flanked by two brass-capped, straight inlaid pillars. There is a circular lenticel in the door with a brass surround. The whole rests on a rectangular base with plinth.
The square dial has cherub and crown spandrels in the corners. The maker has signed the clock on the silvered brass chapter ring: Claudius Du Chesne London. The centre of the dial is matted and has two ringed winding holes. Above the VI is a square date aperture, whilst there is a seconds ring below the XII. The time is indicated by a pair of pierced blued-steel hands on a silvered chapter ring with Roman hour, half-hour, quarter-hour, Arabic five-minute and minute divisions.
The weight-driven, week-going movement has going and striking trains, the former with anchor escapement and seconds pendulum, the latter with rack striking. It indicates the hours fully on a bell.
Claudius Duchesne was a French Huguenot from Paris who came to England around 1685. He was apprenticed in France and on his arrival was a fully- fledged clockmaker. He was married to Elizabeth Rossu with whom he had several children. In 1697 he swore the oath of allegiance to the Clockmakers’ Company. Claudius took several apprentices. He had a large production and made bracket and longcase clocks, some of them with complications or musical.
Literature: B. Loomes, Clockmakers of Britain 1288-1700, Ashbourne, 2014, pp. 165-66.
|Price on request|